The PETRA-E Network is a European network of institutions dedicated to the education and training of literary translators. It continues the work of the PETRA-E project, funded from 01-09-2014 until 31-08-2016 by Erasmus+, which resulted in the PETRA-E Framework. This Framework defines competences and levels in literary translating in order to improve the quality of literary translations and the visibility of literary translators in Europe. The Framework is available in 8 languages: Dutch, English, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Bulgarian and Portuguese. The Network aims to facilitate the implementation of the Framework and provide a collaborative space for the discussion of related topics.
The Network aims to set up and strengthen the European infrastructure for the education and training of literary translators. Therefore it will:
- Create and further develop a Framework for the education and training of literary translators and use the Framework in educational practices;
- Inform (emerging) translators of education and training possibilities;
- Develop and share tools and methods for the education and training of literary translators;
- Collaborate on the development of such tools and in educational practices;
- Highlight the importance of well-educated literary translators in Europe;
- Find and make use of opportunities for funding the development of teaching and training methods;
- Facilitate the exchange of teachers and students.
The Network welcomes new members, academic and non-academic, who are committed to the PETRA-E Framework and its underlying principles, and wish to implement the Framework in their own institutions and programmes and contribute to its further development.
The Network plans to hold regular meetings, the first of which is to take place in Spring 2017.
At this stage, PETRA-E is happy to receive comments or proposals for future projects which will be considered as possible topics for discussion at its meetings. In particular, we are interested in the following:
- Feedback on the Framework;
- Strategies for education;
- Strategies for evaluation;
- Research funding opportunities.